[GLLUG] Contact database

Scott Henry Harrison harris41 at msu.edu
Thu Jul 7 16:52:36 EDT 2005

Mike Johnson writes:
> Hi all, hope all is well with everyone.
>

> I am actually looking for a script of freeware type program to use on a
> website for contact list updates for friends, family ect.  I basically want
> to have a user login and only be able to update their own information (Phone
> number, address, e-mail ect.) but then they are able to view the information
> for everyone else.  My main goal is to keep contact of friends and family
> and allow them to update it as things change while allowing them to also
> keep updated information for themselves as well.  I have tried to write a
> program to accomplish this but has been more than I am ready to take on at
> this point.  I hope what I am trying to accomplish makes sense if not let me
> know.

Hi Mike:

Ideally, for sake of a common cross-compatible data format,
I would recommend that your data would be stored in vCard format

One possibly relevant application is PloneContacts.
http://plone.wardandsmith.com/
https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/PloneContacts

Ongoing development for PloneContacts attenuated earlier
this spring 2005, and it is "Plone"...Plone is very
flexible for controlling various r,w,rw permission schemes,
but there can be a bit of a learning curve with it, not
to mention system administration issues.
(Note: Ironically, in my mind, basic configuration and initialization
of Plone on a windows system is easier than on a linux system.)

Regards,
Scott