[GLLUG] Meeting?

Marr marr at flex.com
Fri Apr 21 14:04:05 EDT 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 12:01pm, Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> Truly yes, buying supported hardware is the way to go.  I have always tried
> to go with Linksys hardware when it comes to switches, routers and wireless
> nics.  I thought it would be fine.  I guess I didn't realize or wasn't
> thinking that the chipset would be only quasi-supported.

As my previous post indicates, you can never really tell. If you're lucky,
they change the model number, or at least, the version number. Sometimes,
from what I've heard, they don't change either one!

In fact, in my answer to a poster on WLUG (Washtenaw County LUG) the other
day, I indicated the same problem with an Adaptec IEEE-1394 (FireWire) PCI
card -- they silently changed the chipset from Lucent/Agere to Texas
Instruments with no discernable change in the product's model or version!
Fortunately, both chipsets are Linux-compatible, but that's a bad practice to
follow.

Bottom Line: Caveat emptor!

> Buying another adapter sounds like a nice option but what to buy?  PCMCIA
> 802.11g fully *nix compatible?

Well, as I said, the Netgear WG511T (802.11g) has worked out well for me. I
don't use it that often, but I've never had a problem with it so far.
Assuming they haven't tweaked the chipset.... :^)

Snipped from my 23 Aug 2005 GLLUG post (check the archives
[http://mailman.egr.msu.edu/mailman/public/linux-user/] if you need to see
more):

Bottom Line: The WG511T seems like a good choice for $40. It's capable of what
Netgear calls 'SuperG' (with speeds up to 108 Mbps) but that's only possible
with Netgear's SuperG-capable routers, of course. Count only on getting
regular 802.11g speeds (54 Mbps) out of it otherwise.

P.S. I'm surmising that you meant to send this to the GLLUG list as well, so
I'm CCing them.

Bill Marr