[GLLUG] System optimizations

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu Aug 10 16:29:21 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I don't know if you got my email prior but I can't make it to that meeting
> it's the last day of class. still hoping it's just like every does a 5
> minute here's my favorite optimiztion or trick. If I were coming I would do
> data journaling for ext3. I might be able to make it depending on schedule
> that night for class but I can't guarantee. I can give someon resources for
> my optimization if they want to cover it. theres a one page-ish guide?
> um...
> hdparm should be covered... maybe jeff was doing that. if anyone knows
> tricks for sata and scsi it would be nice. specially sata. compiler
> optimizations and how to do them... and what's safe (not sure if it should
> be covered) I fear ricers. um... maybe cron jobs that help with
> something?any kernel tricks...  just throwing around idea's whatever people
> do that make there lives easier in linux. even window manager tricks would

Well, if you want to make your life easier, don't bother using a
computer and move to a beach in some country where the cost of living is
just a couple cents per day.  Or you could move off the planet entirely
to another world where money has no meaning and you just work to enrich
yourself.

> be good. setting up keyboard shortcuts... maybe even a windows, bsd, unix,
> mac OSX tricks if that will get more people to share.

Oooh!  Taskbar on the left!

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

Safe C++ Design Principles (First Edition)
Learn how to write memory leak-free, secure,
portable, and user-friendly software.

Learn more and view a sample chapter:
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/SafeCPPDesign/