[GLLUG] xorg problem's laptop HP Pavillion zv6000

Geoffrey antosgeo at msu.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:14:17 EST 2006

linux-user-request at egr.msu.edu wrote:

> I'm trying to get X running on gentoo... and if any distro's ran X I
> want to know what did. I need to figure out there configuration.
> gentoo is very manual like FreeBSD or even but not as much as LFS. if
> I can figure out what the file's look like xorg.conf and kernel
> .config I can replicate it in gentoo. even if I have to leave portage.
> oh and I think I've found the alsa sound module. it's an ati thing but
> I'm not gonna test it until I have X.
>
> On 1/11/06, *Eduardo Cesconetto* <eduardo at cesconetto.com
> <mailto:eduardo at cesconetto.com>> wrote:
>
>     I had a really hard ime to find any distro to work correctly in this
>     machine, then I gave up and bought an IBM... No distros at all ran
>     sound, and very few (including DSL) ran X.
>     []'s
>     Eduardo

I run Gentoo myself, but I've never tried it on a 64bit platform.
I'm assuming that you've got the ATI Raedon Xpress 200M videocard in
your laptop.
Supposedly, the 8.13.3 and 8.13.4 version of the ATI-provided binary
drivers work with
your model laptop, as mentioned on
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_Linux_64bit_on_HP_Pavilion_zv6000_series_notebook#Video_Card_Configuration

Good luck.