[GLLUG] Sun Machines

Reza Beha reza_beha at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 15:30:43 EDT 2006

The binaries are compatible, but I think the license permits OpenSolaris
releases to be made that are not.  Sun takes standards very seriously.

Man pages for fun readings: standards, intro, libucb

bash-2.03$ man standards

Standards, Environments, and Macros                  standards(5)

NAME
     standards, ANSI,  C,  ISO,  POSIX,  POSIX.1,  POSIX.2,  SUS,
     SUSv2, SVID, SVID3, XNS, XNS4, XNS5, XPG, XPG3, XPG4, XPG4v2
     - standards and specifications supported by Solaris

DESCRIPTION
     Solaris 7 supports IEEE Std 1003.1 and IEEE Std 1003.2, com-
     monly  known  as POSIX.1 and POSIX.2, respectively.