[GLLUG] Cups shared printer

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Thu Jul 13 18:05:26 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing said:
> I want to make my printer shared on my internal subnet for other linux
> box's... I've been trying to accomplish this but unable. My server is a
> gentoo box and I'm trying to connect it to a kubuntu box. I can't connect
> it
> directly as a network printer with an IP because the only way it can
> connect
> is through usb. it's an HP deskjet 5400. I've successfully gotten a
> working
> windows share before but I understand I shouldn't have to do that. any
> help
> would be appreciated, even pointers to a good resource... please be
> specific(in other words don't just point me to the cups website).

Check out the hosts.equiv or hosts.lpd file (your system should have one
or the other).  The lpd man page discusses how to do this:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=lpd

Essentially, just list the host names in the appropriate files and lpd
will handle the problem itself.

Clay
--
Simple Content Management