[GLLUG] Cups shared printer

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Jul 13 21:52:56 EDT 2006

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I want to make my printer shared on my internal subnet for other linux
> box's... I've been trying to accomplish this but unable. My server is a
> gentoo box and I'm trying to connect it to a kubuntu box. I can't
> connect it directly as a network printer with an IP because the only way
> it can connect is through usb. it's an HP deskjet 5400. I've
> successfully gotten a working windows share before but I understand I
> shouldn't have to do that. any help would be appreciated, even pointers
> to a good resource... please be specific(in other words don't just point
> me to the cups website).

Here's the general outline. I won't go into the details, because there
is lots of information on this elsewhere. This should be enough to get
you going. The whole procedure is not terribly difficult.

First, get CUPS installed and working on the Gentoo box. I think you'll
want at least the following ebuilds: cups, foomatic, hpijs. Since your
printer is USB, you may have to set up support for USB on the box.

Access the CUPS web interface at http://gentoobox:631 and install your
printer. Print a test page. It should work.

On the Kubuntu box, go into the KDE control panel and select the
Printers configuration dealie. Enter Administration Mode. At the top,
select Add -> Add Printer/Class and follow the wizard to tell kprinter
to use a remote CUPS server rather than the local one. Once this is
done, the remote printer should show up in your printer list
automatically and the bottom of the configuration dealie will read
"Print system currently used: CUPS" and below that "Server: gentoobox:631".

Hope that helps. If you have questions, let me know.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com