[GLLUG] Wanting to write my own xorg.conf

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Tue May 2 21:29:09 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 21:17, Giovanni DiMatteo wrote:
> I'm a student at Albion College, Gentoo/OpenBSD/FreeBSD triple-boot user,
> and am REALLY frustrated with figuring out how to write my own xorg.conf
> for Gentoo... I noticed that the GLLUG had a meeting in September that
> discussed this very thing, and I missed out :/ .
>
> Does anyone have notes or a power point from that meeting?   How about
> websites that help with this very thing, or example xorg.conf files for my
> kind of laptop (I am on a Thinkpad R51, 2883-8QU).  Of course, I have rtfm,
> and googled a lot, but it's not straightforward enough--I especially need
> to know how I can get the hardware information I need (horiz/vertical sync
> /refresh rates or w/e).
>
> Thanks!

If you have an xorg.conf file created from one of your other operating
systems, can't you use that as the basis for Gentoo?  I'm hardly a
Linux expert (I use OpenBSD) but I had a friend with this problem and
I suggested that he use his OpenBSD version to start with, and I didn't
hear back from him with complaints...

--STeve Andre'