[GLLUG] Raid 0

Mark Szidik/mlc SzidikM at mlcnet.org
Wed May 3 13:52:49 EDT 2006

I have a Dell 2850 server that is using the embedded raid controller.  It's
setup with RAID 10  (striped, mirrored).  I am willing to forego the safety
of the mirror if I can increase performance by going to just raid 0 across
4 disks instead of the current 2.  Anybody know if this will improve
performace a lot?  I am running a large PostgreSQL database on the box.

Additionally,  Does the raid 1 (mirror) cause data to be sent out the SCSI
bus twice, or is there a trick that it uses to write data to two disks at
once?

There are 4 Seagate 15K 36GB drives.  SCSI 320 bus - single channel.

Thanks,
---
Mark Szidik, CIO
Michigan Library Consortium
1407 Rensen Street, Suite 1,  Lansing, MI 48910-3657
Ph:800.530.9019 x117   Fax:517.492.3881
Ph:517.492.3817
MLC - Partnerships. Solutions. Excellence.