[GLLUG] Dual Boot Imaging with partimage?

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Nov 3 12:21:55 EST 2006

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 16:03, Benjamin Cathey wrote:
>> I have an XP/Linux dual boot system (using grub.)
>>
>> I want to image the HDD and I'm not sure what the best way to go about it
>> is.  I have heard partimage is 'sort of' ntfs compatible.  Then, thought,
>> you need to backup the partition table as well.  I have also head the
>> Norton Ghost can read ext3 but that costs money.
>>
>> Any ideas - opinions?
>
> We've had good luck with this:
>
> http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm
>
> It's roughly equivalent to Ghost, but I don't think it does Linux. Back in the
> day, I would have suggested dump/restore for moving Linux partitions, but
> newer filesystems aren't well supported with those utilities if at all.

There's g4u and g4l too. g4l definitely supports newer hardware than g4u
last I checked (about 6 weeks ago). g4u uses a bsd kernel (netbsd I
think) and is IMO much easier to use. g4l uses a Linux kernel and works
on newer hardware but some folks have beefs with it's origins. There was
probably some plagiarism from g4u back at it's start but the folks that
have taken over the project more recently seem to have dealt with it.

Both of these use dd, gzip and ftp to make an image of the drive (g4l
offers more than one style compression). ntfs is specically supported
with g4l and generally not a problem with either although you sometime
need a partition utility to fix errors on occasion (when you see an NT
loader error). If we don't have drives that are exactly identical our
usual practice is to make the images use a partition smaller than the
drive they will actually go on which makes it easier to fix the NT
loader error.

Someone mentioned problems with recent HP's. Turning off advanced APIC
in bios has helped us imaging recent HP's (dx5150 - AMD processors).

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...