[GLLUG] Re: Meeting Thursday, October 12th

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Thu Oct 12 11:56:55 EDT 2006

On Thursday 12 October 2006 10:19, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I'm experimenting with pop clients right now. because I want to start
> using pgp. I'm currently in evolution. and so far no problems reading an
> knowing what was quoted.

I've been tinkering with GnuPG myself and think we ought to have a meeting
topic covering it some time maybe along with a key exchange party. Would
anyone else be interested in this?

> from your email or any of the other's received. yes it might be a waste
> of bandwidth... but so are all the RSVP's I have to endure. really
> meeting anouncements are of no use to me

There not useless to everyone, I'm sure. We have some people who are
subscribed to the list but never check the website and vice versa. I argue
that the meeting announcements and other meeting-related discussion are one
of the most important reasons for the list to exist. Linux help comes second
only because there are so many other places on the net that a new user can go
to for help.

> and even less are the rsvps,
> I'm usually there, and if I'm not coming I probably don't no more than 1
> hour ahead of time, if you are their I'll see you there, if you aren't
> hope to see you next week. but we've had that discussion. It got turned
> down.

The RSVPs are solely so that we can estimate pizza consumption for the
upcoming meeting. If it's that big a deal to more than one or two people, we
can look at setting up a better RSVP system.

> we've also had the reply to all vs just replying to list
> discussion and it got turned down.

As you say, we've been over this, but it was decided that replying to the
poster by default was better than replying to the list by default. Some mail
clients have an option called "Reply to List". At least, KMail does.

> both have caused me to generate
> "extra bandwidth".  Is this really that big of a deal to you? how about
> signatures? I used to have a 10 line signature, then someone complaine
> so I cut it. and signatures pointing me to linux-user at egr.msu.edu umm...
> I'm on the list. why do I need the address again?

Long signatures don't bug me and the list footer may be a pain when crafting
replies, but it's useful to have overall. It, along with the subject and
message header, identifies to the reader that the message came from the list
rather than directly to the recipient from the sender. It also helps identify
and publicize the list when the messages show up in web searches and
archives. Finally, it gives a URL that people can go to in order to get more
information about the list and GLLUG itself.

> sorry to inconvience you or anyone. but is this really worth the effort,
> to even debate? (I guess it must be for me, cause I'm debating it)

I appreciate your input and suggestions and of course those of everyone else.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com