[GLLUG] Video Editing on Linux

Marr marr at copper.net
Thu Dec 13 10:45:12 EST 2007

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 2:10pm, Clay Dowling wrote:
> I bought my wife a digital video camera for Christmas this year, and I'm
> expecting that one of her very first requests is going to be learning how
> get it off the camera and edited down so that we can share video with
> friends and family.  Unfortunately most of the Linux resources I'm finding
> on that are three to five years old.  In the Linux world, that's like
> trying to fix my Honda Accord with the service manual from 1977.
>
> Anybody have any good pointers for where to look on that?  If I can learn
> how to do it I'm perfectly happy to give a presentation on the subject so
> that I can share what I learn.  For that matter, it might make a good
> panel for Penguicon.
>
> Clay

This week's edition of LWN has a front-page article about video camera use:

  http://lwn.net/Articles/261820/

   The Grumpy Editor's video journey, part 1
   [LWN subscriber-only content]
   By Jonathan Corbet

Eventually (after 1 or 2 weeks, IIRC), the article will be available to
non-subscribers.

However, as a subscriber, I'm allowed to create a limited number of "Free
Links" to LWN stories that I want to share. Here's a free link to the above
story, for those who are interested in video camera use under Linux:

   http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/261820/4c0b2da7ed8cb13e/

Here's a quote: "This article is the first of (probably) three which describe
your editor's odyssey through the hazards of video processing on Linux."

I haven't fully read the article yet, but Part 1 does not cover Kdenlive. It
does discuss 'dvgrab', Kino, Cinelerra, 'transcode', and 'mencoder', though.

And, lastly, for anyone interested in supporting LWN through a subscription: