[GLLUG] Sun Black box event

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Mar 21 16:22:57 EDT 2007

Sean O'Malley wrote:
> I apologize for the late notice since it is today. Sun has their "black
> box" coming to MSU. It is basically a datacenter on wheels for disasters,
> people who don't want to build datacenters, people who want to pay cheap
> trailerpark rent for their datacenter, or people who like some serious
> hardware while war-driving.
>
> Although I am SURE they are pushing full sun solutions, I am sure they
> accomodate other operating systems and interoperability as well. If not it
> is a neat if you are a hardware geek.
>
> http://www.sun.com/events/st/loc.jspcial
>
> I believe they are parked over on shaw by the bio-physics building or at
> least in that area by the planetarium.
>
> -Sean

Eduardo and I attended this morning. Like you said, it's really nothing fancy,
just a semi-mobile datacenter built inside a shipping container with 294U of
rackspace. It would be good if you were in a situation where you needed a
temporary datacenter deployed somewhere in a real big hurry without actually
having to build a datacenter.

They tried to tie server virtualization into it, but I think the connection
was somewhat lost on most of those in attendance including myself.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com