[GLLUG] Sun Black box event

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Wed Mar 21 17:18:47 EDT 2007

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Sean O'Malley wrote:
>> I apologize for the late notice since it is today. Sun has their "black
>> box" coming to MSU. It is basically a datacenter on wheels for disasters,
>> people who don't want to build datacenters, people who want to pay cheap
>> trailerpark rent for their datacenter, or people who like some serious
>> hardware while war-driving.
>>
>> Although I am SURE they are pushing full sun solutions, I am sure they
>> accomodate other operating systems and interoperability as well. If not it
>> is a neat if you are a hardware geek.
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/events/st/loc.jspcial
>>
>> I believe they are parked over on shaw by the bio-physics building or at
>> least in that area by the planetarium.
>>
>> -Sean
>
> Eduardo and I attended this morning. Like you said, it's really nothing fancy,
> just a semi-mobile datacenter built inside a shipping container with 294U of
> rackspace. It would be good if you were in a situation where you needed a
> temporary datacenter deployed somewhere in a real big hurry without actually
> having to build a datacenter.

Post-Katrina datacenter disaster recovery.  Would have been useful there.

> They tried to tie server virtualization into it, but I think the connection
> was somewhat lost on most of those in attendance including myself.

Well, they were probably implying that it can hook into existing
networks without users noticing.  Assuming your network could handle
that sort of thing to begin with.  In other words:  You probably need to
be doing server virtualization already to use their stuff in a
plug-n-play fashion.

(One of these days, I'm going to get to coin a term.  Hopefully
"plug-n-play server virtualization" hasn't been taken already.  If not,
you heard it from me first.)

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.2
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

Free for personal use, $10 otherwise.
http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/