[GLLUG] State of Gaming machines in the Computer lounge at Penguicon

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Mar 28 09:56:36 EDT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007 23:53, Caleb Cushing wrote:
> I know this is (to my knowledge) the first time MDLUG has been made
> aware of this. But, Currently the gaming section of the computer
> lounge may or may not happen we have 1 machine for sure committed, 1
> (that meet specs) If we need it, and another (that doesn't meet
> specs) if we need it. Currently the show of Gaming on linux will be
> moderate at best and perhaps poor. I am currently thinking it would
> be better not to show off at all than to have a couple of so so
> systems.

I respectfully disagree. Matt Arnold has a saying that summarizes my
feelings on this, "Awesome minus some is still awe." Even if we can't
have the full 6-station gaming rig as envisioned, it would be a good
idea to attempt something instead of just leaving an empty table.
Aren't there any recent single-player that Cedega runs well? Even
failing that, there are a variety of entertaining open source and/or
free games that can be demoed.

I'm personally excited about being able to show off the fact that Linux
currently has better eyecandy than any other desktop OS at the moment,
even OS X and Vista. The most recent release a Beryl runs great on my
dual-head Sempron 2600, which is not exactly a "modern" machine these
days. Many contend that Linux on the desktop is already as good or
better overall than the proprietary competitors, but few in the general
population seem to have taken notice yet.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com