[GLLUG] State of Gaming machines in the Computer lounge at Penguicon

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:10:32 EDT 2007

> I respectfully disagree. Matt Arnold has a saying that summarizes my
> feelings on this, "Awesome minus some is still awe." Even if we can't
> have the full 6-station gaming rig as envisioned, it would be a good
> idea to attempt something instead of just leaving an empty table.
> Aren't there any recent single-player that Cedega runs well? Even
> failing that, there are a variety of entertaining open source and/or
> free games that can be demoed.

we still have 1-2 machines so I guess we can do that....

I'm personally excited about being able to show off the fact that Linux
> currently has better eyecandy than any other desktop OS at the moment,
> even OS X and Vista. The most recent release a Beryl runs great on my
> dual-head Sempron 2600, which is not exactly a "modern" machine these
> days. Many contend that Linux on the desktop is already as good or
> better overall than the proprietary competitors, but few in the general
> population seem to have taken notice yet.

Jason  informed me last night that there are some known conflicts with beryl
and running games although some cedega beta tester's have done it (rick?)
that it's not necessarily the easiest thing to do. I tried getting it
running on my machine but it crashed fluxbox back to gdm. probably something
misconfigured somewhere because I had compiz working before beryl existed
but it sucked 90% of my cpu. If you have a machine that has it working
charles, that could make 3 machines.

--
Caleb Cushing