[GLLUG] got my laptop today!

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Tue May 22 13:42:02 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 13:14, Julie Code wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>        I ended up getting my laptop from DHL today!!! I expected it
> to be here on thursday and acutally was here more than a week earlier
> than they originally said. I was wondering if someone could help me
> install a linux distro on there this thursday?  I am planning on dual
> booting XP and some linux distro.  Could anyone tell me a good
> distro, I like Kubuntu but it seems to crash a little more than the
> others, so I think I would like something like Kubuntu with the apt
> get install.  I know there is some things you have to do to dual boot
> like partitioning and so forth, so if anyone has the tools or maybe
> when I get home tonight Caleb could help me.

Since it's a newer laptop, I highly recommend Ubuntu. Not only is it
easy to use and (usually) easy to install, but it has a huge amount of
documentation and on-line community support.

There's a chance that you might have some trouble getting the video
drivers working properly and you might have to use the Alternative
Install CD to get it installed, though.

I'd also recommend trying to install it yourself before seeking help if
your goal here is to learn Linux instead of merely using it. You never
know, it may just work without any problems. If you do run into issues,
Caleb certainly has the technical skill and people at GLLUG are usually
more than willing to help, especially if it means they get to play
around on a brand-new laptop for a little while.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com