[GLLUG] got my laptop today!

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:43:16 EDT 2007

Hi Julie and all,

I guess jumping into the middle of a thread is a bit of an odd way to
introduce myself to the group, but I'm new to the area, new to this list,
and finally got a question that I actually know something about (grin).

I second the motion of going with Ubuntu, and for a new laptop, I would make
sure that you're using the latest version, Feisty Fawn-- I'll never know how
they come up with their names.

Do you prefer KDE over the Gnome desktop?  If you install Ubuntu rather than
Kubuntu, you'll be getting Gnome by default, and no KDE.

Does your laptop come with Windows preinstalled?  If so, do you have a
recovery disk or any other means to restore it to factory defaults just in
case?  if the answer is no, then you may want to consider burning yourself a
copy of the SystemRescueCD available here:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

This CD contains among other things, a utility called partimage which is
similar in function to Ghost under Windows.  NTFS support in Partimage is
still in beta; However, you can try using it to back up your windows
partition.  the procedure will either finish successfully, or report that
the utility is unable to complete the process.  in either case, none of your
data will be compromised; So worst case scenario is that you lose a few
minutes of your time. Best case scenario, you have a valid image to restore
if things go wrong.

As for the installation itself, try the Ubuntu desktop CD first.  The part
of a dual boot installation  that always makes me the most nervous is
actually creating free space for your new partitions.  I'm not sure if
Feisty's installer does this yet for NTFS partitions.  In the past, I've
always been hesitant to trust in beta NTFS support for this operation, and
have created the free space with Partition Magic under windows.

Once you have your free space, the rest of the install is a piece of cake.
just answer a few simple questions about your region, your user name and
your keyboard, and then when the partitioner comes up, tell it to use the
largest continuous free space.

That should do it.

Good luck!

--Al

PS.  Just curious, what kind of laptop is it?