[GLLUG] My Tech Suggestions

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Thu Sep 27 09:03:18 EDT 2007

To me it sounds well thought out - I'm not sure what school system you are in.

I only see a few problems.  One being that people HATE change and getting them to change OS's is like a constant bitch-fest.  ESPECIALLY OPEN OFFICE.  I finally got everyone here to use it so we save money but people aren't happy about it and constantly say, "Well in Office all I had to do was this . . . ."  Muttering behind the IT guys back.

Admittedly something like edubuntu would work well for a school with it's thin client setup and the ability to monitor students screens and tasks and send messages.  Couple that with a stateful, reactive firewall like smoothwall and it's really nice.

The other big problem is no one want to know if you know how to type anymore or work with spreadsheets.  They want to know if you know M$ OFFICE (Excel, Word, Access) in the GENERAL workplace.  So, in a way, by not presenting those options the students may be hindered.  I wish it wasn't that way but it is.  I work in an office building and I forced everyone kicking and screaming into Open Office.  That was two years ago and they still complain about it.  No one will ask for help either, they'd rather just bitch.  Admittedly, you could use Code Weaver's Crossover Office but then you are back to buying licenses.

Geez, whole other countries switch all their schools and gov't PCs to Linux - you wouldn't think Bill Gates would have his hands that tight on the nuts of the US.  For other countries (from reading the two UK Linux Mags I subscribe to) it's more of a political issue.  They aren't as locked in to the idea that they NEED Windows as we are.

Well - that's my spiel.  Sorry to rant - it's early still and I didn't get much sleep.

I hope you get a positive response.  Maybe show them edubuntu as a replacement for Novell Netware.  The thin-client model supports MANY workstations with a single server and a bunch of PCs with bootable NICs.  Unified profiles and deployment is easy plus it has classroom management so the computer lab teacher can seen (in one window) what everyone is going and blank their screen or kill a process or send a message to them.

Good luck

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company