[GLLUG] My Tech Suggestions

michael at watters.ws michael at watters.ws
Thu Sep 27 09:33:32 EDT 2007

> To me it sounds well thought out - I'm not sure what school system you are
> in.

Most of it sounds good, it could use some better wording though. Your NTFS
example is invalid as well, NTFS does not fragment like it used to, it's a
fairly robust file system with modern features (journaling, symlinks,
etc.)

I don't think the government not switching to Linux is because of Bill
Gates. Sure they get price breaks (practically free) but the U.S.
government is one of MS' biggest customers and it is THE standard for all
users. The time it takes to reinstall the OS on thousands of systems and
retrain users costs way more than just paying a license fee, they also
hate change like you said.

Windows is also C2 certified which is a requirement for government
systems, I know one of the distros was working on this but it's not
standard.

For firewalls I'd just buy a cisco, sure they cost more but it's worth it.
Squid would be great as a web proxy.