[GLLUG] My Tech Suggestions

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 10:45:59 EDT 2007

Steven,

I think your approach is nice in nature, but likely wont happen. I
agree highly with Clay. I've worked quite a bit with the tech
department at DeWitt school district and have found that while changes
to linux might be optimistic, it is highly unrealistic. One has a
rather good argument if you say that teaching kids linux versus
Windows leaves them unprepared, given the market share. If you want to
get Open Source involved, you need to do it one little app at a time.
Open Office seems like the best candidate, because it is well rounded,
can save to so many file formats, etc.

If you are interested in making this switch, I would suggest talking
to Sherry McVay (smcvay at>dewitt.edzone.net) and asking her what her
best approach would be, and also to possibly get her to speak to them
or write them a letter. Switching things like this really isn't as
simple as it seems; as it is a government organization, there is
always red tape to cut through, and I know Sherry cut through a lot of
it.

When you request/suggest changes, be very courteous.

Karl