[GLLUG] Gentoo not holding sound through reboots

Mike Szumlinski szumlins at mac.com
Sat Apr 19 01:35:58 EDT 2008

Sorry for the slow reply on this, been on the road for a week and
haven't had a chance to play around.

I did some checking tonight and found that it is built as a module and
that it is properly set up to load on boot.

Running rc-update show tells me it is set properly.

Upon further digging, it looks like it is actually X that is not
seeing the sound card the first time it is launched and is actually
causing a lock up of X (since sounds need to be played in
AdvanceMenu).  If I force quit out of X (ctl-alt-backspace) and
restart it, everything works.

This only happens after a reboot.

Something makes me think it is a latency thing and it takes longer for
ALSA to come online than it does to fire up X, but it is a little odd.

I've found a temporary workaround by disabling all sounds in the menu,
but I'd still like to figure out what is going on.  Anyone have any
ideas?

-Mike