[GLLUG] Penguicon Ideas

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Feb 13 23:29:13 EST 2008

Before I go on, does anyone have a Geforce 4000 series card that crapped
out, but still has a working fan?  If so, please email me directly!

| 4.  My personal impression is that the demo and gaming boxes were not
| really worth the effort.  Any ideas on this?

With what happened last year, I couldn't agree more.  Still, I was
pleased with what I was able to pull together in under 24hrs.

I should be able to do the same set of games, plus a few more open
source ones with minimal additional effort this year.  Depending on what
other titles Steven has (and my schedule), I might be able to get two or
three more commercial games running as well.  As far as game selection,
I just didn't get any new commercial ones since last con (bought a house
and a Wii, so not much time for PC games lately).

Adding a basic MythTV install (pre-loaded content without a programming
hookup) would only take about 15-20 minutes, so I don't see the point of
not including that on the same machines.

Gaming hardware I can provide:

2400/2500+ Athlon XP
1GB of RAM
Plenty of HDD space for games + mythtv
Working Sound (w/ cheap desktop speakers)
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra video
Working USB w/ mouse and keyboard
gigabit ethernet
19" CRT monitor

2400/2500+ Athlon XP
1GB of RAM
Plenty of HDD space for games + mythtv
MISSING speakers (I think I have a spare sound card)
BROKEN video card!!!! (need Geforce 4600Ti fan, or loaner card)
Fried USB controller (limited to PS/2 peripherals)
gigabit ethernet
MISSING monitor

Hardware that Steven can provide:

????????? - one gaming machine?  I should have the HDD covered, but will
need a night or so with the hardware roughly a week before Penguicon.

Missing hardware (from my set):

1 monitor
1 Geforce4 or higher class card (or a 4000 series fan) - AGP
1-2 cheap OR rugged/lightweight plain keyboard (looking to avoid a large
border above the F1-F4 keys)
1 set of low-end powered desktop speakers