[GLLUG] new guy to Linux, need a few reccomendations

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 23:42:34 EST 2010

You've received a lot of advice about distros and window managers to
use, Bert.  For word processing, you should find AbiWord sufficient
rather than installing OpenOffice.org.  For a lightweight e-mail client,
try Sylpheed or Claws-Mail rather than Thunderbird or Evolution.  Or go
old-school with mutt or pine (or the newer update, alpine).  Firefox
should run on your PIII, but, if you want lighter browsers, check out
Dillo, elinks, or netsurf.  Arora isn't quite as light as those, I believe.

And, just in time for new Fluxbox users, here's an intro to configuring it.

http://maketecheasier.com/beginners-guide-to-fluxbox-configuration/2010/01/19

                                Chick