[GLLUG] Website DNS Issue

Patrick collorap at msu.edu
Sun Nov 21 17:51:12 EST 2010

Hello GLLUG folks,

I just moved a website from one hosting provider to another yesterday,
and DNS is not working today.  I've attempted to contact the registrar
and the new host, and neither have been able to offer a solution other
than to just wait.  I switched the authoritative DNS servers for the
domain to the new DNS server yesterday on the registrar's site, which is
separate from either the new or the old hosting provider.  Our site is
http://www.lighting-gallery.net and the alternative URL for the site on
the new hosting company's server is http://ltgnet.www59.a2hosting.com/.
In an attempt to minimize downtime, I configured the old hosting
company's server to redirect all requests from it to
http://ltgnet.www59.a2hosting.com/, because I knew it would take time
for the DNS update to propagate.  This worked great for a little while,
and the site remained online after the server switch yesterday.
However, since this morning, our domain will not resolve at all, not to
the old IP address or the new IP address.  I double checked that the DNS
servers were entered correctly.  The primary domain is
lighting-gallery.net.  metal-halide.net and pjc.name are two parked
domains with the same host.  At this time, only pjc.name resolves.  Any
ideas?

- Patrick