[GLLUG] 16 megs ram laptop

Patrick collorap at msu.edu
Tue Sep 21 22:11:45 EDT 2010

While Linux might not be particularly useful on a laptop as old as that,
it should be possible to run it.  Some time ago I installed Linux  (Red
Hat 6 - this was before Fedora) on a Compaq Contura Aero subnotebook
with a 25 MHz 486 CPU and 20 MB RAM.  It had one PCMCIA slot which I had
to use for both the installation boot floppy and the network card, which
made the network install a bit tricky.  It had a 2 GB hard drive, that
was not the original.  Without the drive upgrade, I would have probably
had to use a slimmed down distro.  It worked and I even got Apache
working on it.  It was reasonably speedy serving static web pages, as
long as no more than about 2 users hit it at the same time.  Don't
expect to be able to use the X Window System.  It will be considerably
less responsive than Windows 95 even with a minimal window manager.

- Patrick