[GLLUG] linux color laser duplex ethernet

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Fri Nov 18 11:34:26 EST 2011

On 11/18/11 11:16 AM, Tom Schouten wrote:
> I got one on sale for $160 at Adorama:
> http://www.adorama.com/KCMC1650EN.html
>
> It seems to be a nice printer indeed, though it doesn't seem to have a
> duplexer installed.
> Now that I check the specs more carefully it says "optional".  The KM
> website lists it as $99 MSRP.
> http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/content/products/models/magicolor1650en.html?info=Accessories
>

> Did you order the duplexer / large tray separately?
I had to order the tray and duplexer separately.  Be warned that you
need to order both of them to use the duplexer, something I hadn't
realized originally, and had to look at my lonely duplexer sitting there
for two weeks, unloved and unused.

You should also pick up new toner cartridges, especially black, now,
unless yours shipped with the extra-capacity cartidges.  The cartridges
aren't outrageously expensive compared to Inkjet printing, but you will
probably be laying out a couple of hundred bucks by the time you get all
four.  And the extra capacity black is totally worth the money.

It's been a great printer for us.  The easiest, most compatible printer
I've used, much better than the newer HP B&W printer sitting next to it
(which is a bitch to set up in Linux, because the drivers have weird
permissions requirements and don't install with the correct ones).  The
only complaint is that it's slow to print, especially if you push a
really large job.  But that's always the tradeoff with a color printer.

Clay