[GLLUG] One Simple Solution

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:43:59 EDT 2012

Do you remember me asking about trying to swap hard drives in two
laptops, and having problems getting the laptop to recognize a different
hard drive?  Well, that problem is solved.

Do any of you at a meeting about four weeks ago remember the loose power
connection another laptop PC has that shuts the laptop down if I try to
move it?  That problem, too, has gone away.

Do any of you think I have too many old laptop PCs?  Well, fret no more.

I returned to Lansing today to find someone had broken in and all I can
tell that they stole was four laptops, their cases, and two wireless
PCMCIA cards.  And a hiking backpack.  At least three of the laptops
were at least ten years old; one was a PII with 64MB of RAM and FreeBSD
7.2, one was a P3 with 128MB and FreeBSD 8.2, one was a P3 with 256MB of
RAM Bodhi Linux, and one was a P4 with 768MB of RAM and CrunchBang
Linux.  I wish I could have seen them when they found out how worthless
those laptops are to most people.  I still wish I had them, and their
cases.  I had one with me in St. Louis, so I still have one.  Last night
I ordered a CMOS battery for one of the stolen ones, too, because it has
a special assembly around it for the ThinkPad, so there's another $1.80
I'm out for.  For everyone who has given me a laptop PC gratis, I am
sorry to say I can no longer return it if you want it back.  The only
halfway-decent one I have left is the one that cost me a six-pack of beer.

They started to take my eleven-year-old desktop PC, but they stopped.
The left the newer one I bought from Rick Houser, even though it was
about six feet from some of the laptop PCs they took.  They didn't take
any audio or video equipment.  They left my ATM card, probably because
they didn't see it behind my Super 8 Motels discount card.  It's sort of
like the reverse of that PC commercial where thieves steal everything
but the desktop PC; they took the PCs of least value, the ones whose
carrying cases are probably worth more.
--

                                Chick