[GLLUG] Why I left Ubuntu

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Jul 25 10:23:26 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:12:13AM -0400, Patrick Goupell wrote:
> While he did say he had a total of 5 computers on a network (assumed
> to be internal), nothing was said about a connection to the internet
> (which is my interpretation of your "network access").
>
> I would assume (but that could be bad) that he does normal patch
> maintenance just like all sysadmins do and he has some type of
> firewall for any internet access.

A firewall isn't going to protect you from all exploits, particularly
local exploits by web browsers, email clients, etc.  However, if it
really isn't connected to the internet, this is less of an issue, but
if they *were* getting updates before, then I'm going to assume they
had some connection to the internet.

> Is it necessary to constantly repeat the warnings about an unpatched
> system or do we give the guy credit for some intelligence?

I've seen plenty of otherwise-intelligent people try to get away with
unpatched, unsupported OSs and wonder why they were exploited because
they thought they took the necessary precautions.