[GLLUG] Looking for a copy of Win7

Jason L. Froebe jason.froebe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 16:26:00 EST 2014

Hi Richard,

I disagree with you to the extent that MS Access can be used quite
effectively to teach the *basics* of designing/using DBMS systems.  In no
way can Access be used on instructing database administration or more
complex RDMS dbs which are what I believe you're thinking of.

jason

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Richard Houser <rick at divinesymphony.net>wrote:

> Personally, I would strongly question the integrity of any database class
> taught in outlook. Its not so much that you can't do things right, but that
> you have to fight Access to do things correctly (as of about 2003 era). If
> you go with it anyhow, ask your institution if MSDAA licensing is available
> for you as a student. If so, it probably covers the OS and Office.
>

> Frank Dolinar <frank.dolinar at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you read that right.
>>
>>      I'm taking a Database design course this term and the prof has an
>> assignment coming up in a few weeks that needs Access 2010 or later.
>>      Just for the record I've asked the prof whether the database
>> component of either Open Office or Libre Office will suffice. Wating for
>> an answer.
>>      I can get Access, but I can't get Win7.  Microsoft is selling
>> Windows 8.1 (aka Vista Lite).  Not interested.
>>
>>      Anyone have or know where to get a reasonably priced copy of Win 7.
>>
>>      Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank
>>

> --

To stay young requires unceasing cultivation of the ability to unlearn old
falsehoods. -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough For Love"