[GLLUG] system tools and updates

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Sat Sep 6 22:13:52 EDT 2014

On 09/06/14 21:58, Andy Ball wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> Looking for some help and tips. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04
> (64bit)
>
> I am having some crash issues lately and suspect Hard drive or CPU
> issues are there tools that are recommended to help identify what the
> problem might be. Not the best with command line so graphical tools
> are desired.
>
> I am looking at upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04 I leaning towards fresh
> install.  My main concern is keeping Virtual Box machines from
> breaking most of them are on an external drive is there something I
> need to be aware of and back up.
>
> Thanks, Andy

It's unlikely that your CPU is at fault.  The few times I've ever seen a CPU
go bad, the system wouldn't stay up for more than a few seconds. Much
more likely is bad memory.  A system that comes up and then crashes
can do that with bad memory.  The memtest86+ CD will let you test
memory easily.

I'm not up on Linux tools to test disks, but I have used disk manufacturers
disk test tools with generally good results.  dd is also useful, when
reading
a raw partition.

As far as upgrading goes, I always make a full backup first, and then also
make a backup of /etc and other places that hold config files onto a usb
stick, so I can use them when building the new system.

--STeve Andre'