[GLLUG] system tools and updates

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:14:57 EDT 2014

On 09/06/2014 09:58 PM, Andy Ball wrote:
> Looking for some help and tips. I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (64bit)
>
> I am having some crash issues lately and suspect Hard drive or CPU
> issues are there tools that are recommended to help identify what the
> problem might be. Not the best with command line so graphical tools are
> desired.
>
> I am looking at upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04 I leaning towards fresh
> install.  My main concern is keeping Virtual Box machines from breaking
> most of them are on an external drive is there something I need to be
> aware of and back up.

If you're worried about a hard drive failing, Andy, check out smartctl
and smartd.  I don't know of any GUI interfaces for them, but they're
what you want.

How old is the problematic PC?  I thought I was had a failing video card
on my eleven-year-old PC, but a replacement video card didn't make any
difference.  Later, Bill Marr suggested that it might well be the power
supply, which I now suspect could be true.  I replaced that PC, though,
so I'm not going to spend any more time trying to figure it out.  But,
depending on your symptoms, if there's any reason to suspect the power
supply you might want to find out how to check that out or how to
replace it.  In my case, the PC would suddenly start the boot process,
with no shutdown beforehand.
--

                                Chick