[GLLUG] New to Linux

Emilio Xavier Esposito emilio.esposito at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:07:16 EDT 2014

Hi
The book "Learning the Unix Operating System, 5th Edition: A Concise
Guide for the New User" (
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002619.do ) is a little old but
provides the basics of how to use a *NIX system, especially the
command line.

Charles' suggestion of using a Virtual Machine to see the installation
and use a Linux system. VirtualBox ( https://www.virtualbox.org ) is a
free and robust option. Alternatively, you could make a Linux-on-USB
install ( http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows
).

The book "Python for Kids" (
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781593274078.do ) has helped me learn